Friday, May 10, 2013

Curbside Score!

Since I usually hit the local thrift store (and grocery store) on Friday, I made a list and set off to pick up some jalapenos and cilantro for tomorrow night's steak taco dinner.  I also got some more tomatillos so I could make some green salsa with avocado.  Both are definite favorites in my house, and I simply cannot wait to see the look on my kids' faces when they find out the menu.  There will also be tres leches cake for dessert, because I'm hoping to entice my friend Cynthia over to join us, as a thank you for yesterday's handychick adventures, which I'll write about next week.

So, there I was, scooting down the road to go to the grocery store, and I spied a child's desk on the curb.  I had no place to park and hitting the brakes was out of the question due to the line of cars behind me.  There was a sign on it, but the wind had flipped it over.  I decided to wait until I was on my way back from shopping to check out the desk.



Happily, it was still there, and I pulled up on the curb and put on my flashers, since that side of the street is a no parking zone.  I flipped the sign to read, FREE!  It was free, and more importantly, it was MINE.  I popped the back door up, tossed it in the car, and off I went.

There is some serious damage to the veneer on the desk, but since it is mostly lifted off, and since I'm planning to paint it, I'm just going to finish removing it from the desk surface.


The side of the desk could likely handle some wood filler and sanding.  Overall, it's a gorgeous little piece, and I can't wait to get it finished up!

I took the pictures on my front porch, which is also slated for a major overhaul this summer.  Ignore the chipping paint and missing caulking around the windows.  It'll all be prettied up soon, too.  All I need to find now is a child's desk chair, if I choose to have the kids actually use it as a desk.  I'm thinking it might be a good size for a hall table.  We'll have to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment